Email marketing is an extremely cost-effective way to communicate with prospects and existing customers. Similar to direct mail, email is a faster, cheaper and easier way to communicate with your prospects and customers. It doesn’t matter what type of business or industry you’re in, email marketing can have a positive impact on your sales.
Here are the top 5 benefits of email marketing, in no particular order:
- Increase your sales – Did you know the average person has to see or hear about your product 7 times before they will buy from you? Using email marketing you can send a series of messages to your email subscribers, educating them about your products and services.
An educated prospect trusts you, and when you have a customers trust selling becomes a painless, more natural process – increasing your sales as a result. Even if they aren’t in the market for your product or service now, you’ll be first on their mind when they do need what you offer.
Finally, email is a great way to send promotional messsages. If prospects want to know when you release new stock or when your next sale is, email can put your message in front of them in minutes… for just a few cents per subscriber.
- Generate repeat business – What’s better than someone buying from you once? How about the same person buying from you over and over again, referring friends and family members in the process? As you may already know, it costs a lot more to acquire a new customer then it does to keep an existing one, and email marketing is your secret weapon when it comes to customer retention.
Keeping in touch with customers regularly after they buy is a great way to generate repeat sales. For example, you can offer them special deals on items that compliment what they’ve already bought from you.
Let’s say you sell electronic equipment and John (a fictional customer) has already purchased a TV from you. Why not send him a follow up email 2 weeks later advertising a special promotion on surround sound setups? The possibility for repeat sales is only limited by your imagination.
- Increase your average order value – For most industries email provides a great way to up-sell customers and can easily add up to 30% to your average order value when done correctly.
For example, if you sell a service like dry cleaning, you can email your customers about other services you provide, such as ironing business shirts and home delivery services. You save time for them and generate more sales for youself in the process, so it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
- Increase your offline sales – Have you ever used the Internet to research a product and then gone into a shop to buy it? According to a recent survey by MarketingSherpa that’s what 59% of Internet users do on a regular basis.
If you run an offline business and don’t have a web site, email marketing is a great way to drive foot traffic through your door – just include your address so potential customers can find you!
- Gain honest, valuable feedback – It’s easy to get honest feedback about your products and services by simply asking and because email is a form of faceless communication, your subscribers will be more honest with you.
For example, if you send an email asking what they think of your customer service or how you could improve your products you’ll be surprised at the invaluable, honest feedback you’ll receive.
Well there you have it – the 5 benefits of email marketing. When used correctly and consistently email marketing can outperform your other marketing activities substantially… and believe me I should know – we use email marketing like our lives depend on it 😉